Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Trip to Island Boat Shop

Today I'm heading over to Marty's shop to have him mount the new engine. On the Edmonds ferry at 10:45. Beautiful day, nice crossing. Hey, how would the 20 do in those white caps?


Arrived at 12:15




Discovered I neglected to secure the hatch, which flew open en route and broke the left-hand window - a real sad loss. Marty says he may have a replacement, but I'm just sick about it. What a stupid blunder.




Here he is chipping away on the transom to see if it is okay for mounting the motor.




A half hour later: The verdict is that there is no systemic rot, only a little surface softness right under the glass that someone laid up when working on the splashwell. But Marty reccomends an additional layer of 3/4" ply to thicken the transom. It will be 2.25" thick when finished.

But more interesting things have transpired during today's visit. Clint called to suggest that Bill R. may be interested in selling the Welike, a '56 Skagit 20 that's ready to go. I called him. He is. Marty just might be interested in Fran's 20 as trading stock. So I left her boat at Island Boat Shop and am on the PT ferry. Meeting Bill in Coupville in a half hour to look at Welike.



What a day.



So I arrived in Coupville. Bill met me, led me up to his house, and took me to his shop and his yard full of cool boats and Bearcat outboards.



Then we went through the Welike. She's a boat with a lot of history including two trips to Alaska on her own bottom, as the guys say. Here she is sporting the full camper canvas Bill added. He is only the boat's third owner since 1956.



The inside would need a little TLC and a lot of paint, but it's sound and complete and very appealing. I'm taking Fran over to look at it tomorrow.

And that's it for the trip to Marty's Shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment